Click the following links to learn more about...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Note of Encouragement

Something that I'd forgotten about the Congolese Christian community and I've witnessed since coming back has really touched me. We've gone to three Congolese church services so far and I've noticed that the level of joy in a church service here far exceeds anything that I've experienced. It's really an interesting situation because the people here are generally poor by Western standards. Most of them have experienced things that we can't even begin to imagine but it doesn't hinder their joy.

The first time we attended a church service, they held off the offering until the end of the service. You'd think that after sitting in church for 4 hours already that people would just want to put their money in the offering basket and go home to eat lunch. It didn't quite happen like that. The pastor called up people to hold the offering baskets and then the music started. People immediately got up and started singing at the top of their lungs and dancing. They slowly all danced their way up to the front of the church to give their offering and when everyone had given their offering they just kept singing and dancing. It was incredibly humbling, touching, and awesome. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of the way that these people danced and sang before the Lord and were so happy to give of themselves for His work.

I feel constantly challenged and strengthened by their joy and I wish that you all could experience it and truly understand what I'm talking about. It's something that wrenches your heart and touches you so deeply at the same time. God is indeed working in the Congolese church and it is evidenced by the generosity and joy of His people.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment