Click the following links to learn more about...

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fullness of Joy

“…In Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever” Psalm 16:11b


Last year I (Sarah) was meditating on this verse quite a bit. Raising financial support is a difficult thing. There is a lot of waiting and asking and, in my case, even some worrying. During that time I felt the Lord reminding me to come into His presence and experience true joy. In Him is fullness of joy…what more could I want than that? Why would I look elsewhere for joy and pleasure when simply being in His presence I will experience joy to the fullest?

Life is moving slowly for us here in Congo. I knew our first couple months would be like this…a lot of waiting, adjusting, planning, etc. Before we got on the plane(s) that brought us here, God was reminding me that He wants to bring us joy individually and as a team. A couple days ago I came across this verse in the Psalms and was quickly reminded that the Lord has been inviting me into His presence to experience His joy for some time. Joy is not something that will just fall into my lap. In order to know joy, I must know my Lord and abide in His presence. I have a choice each day to live in His presence. I am realizing over and over again that in Congo there are simple joys all around me when I choose His presence.

So many things could easily be discouraging about being here right now because the lifestyle is so different and we are incredibly far away from close family and friends. But there has been something amazing about the “simple joys” the Lord has been so kind to give to me. Such as…

- Walking away from a conversation in Lingala knowing that I successfully told a story, answered a question or understood the answer someone gave me

- Spending time in our garden pulling weeds and seeing the results of hard work

- Having enough water in our barrel, filter and bottles to get us through a normal weekend of drinking water, showering, cooking, washing dishes, flushing the toilet and brushing our teeth

- Drinking a lukewarm Coke

- A hard rain that significantly lowers the temperature outside…even if the rain blows through our backdoor and windows and covers the entire floor of our house

- Watching Sam learn the games kids play here and then watching him teach kids the games we like to play


- When the internet connection is strong enough that I can do 2 tasks at once

- Having the time to set aside to read the book Les Miserables

- When the weather is actually cool enough that I am not uncomfortable wearing my hair down

- Knowing some of the names and faces of the people who live in our neighborhood and go to church with us

When I am aware of God’s presence day in and day out, He uses these things to bring me more joy than I would have imagined.

6 comments:

  1. Praise God for the simple joys of life. And great pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah, for your words of joy. It is so easy to get discouraged and dwell on what is wrong rather than what is right. After I read your blog, I sang "the joy of the Lord is my strength" over and over...what a spirit lifter! I am still caring for my dad. It isn't any easier, but I am determined to do it joyfully. Remember when we were in Toledo and Molly gave birth to my first grandchild, Natalie. Three years ago Noah came along, and last week Levi was added to the family. JOY! I am praying for you. Much love, Annakay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this also! So many simple pleasures if we look for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was wonderful to receive your phone call yesterday. I'm so glad that Dad was home, too, to be able to talk to you this time.

    Thanks for the wonderful thoughts you have shared about simple joys...we all need to meditate on them.

    We experienced a simple joy yeaterday watching Griffin swing in the baby swing that we bought to hang in the tree where the bird bath is at the Farm. He loved it and he entertained 7 adults for a long time just by his experiencing the joy of swinging...lots of smiles and giggles. Dad and Jordan also entertained everyone by playing "extreme badminton" in the pond in their waders. We had a fun Labor Day with the family but we certainly missed you and Sam. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam & Sarah, It was so good to read your latest post. So appreciate your honesty and painting a clear picture of your early life in this time at Elikya. You guys and the Larsen's are often in my prayers. Please say hello to Mowa and his wife. Mowa was my roommate when we traveled to Uganda in 2008 and I so appreciate him and his heart. Blessings to you both. Greet the Larsen's as well.
    Jerry Hibma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sarah, for the reminder to let the simple joys be all that I need for right now. You are a blessing to me. Love you and am praying for you all the time. Mom

    ReplyDelete