Click the following links to learn more about...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sarah’s unexpected, multi-cultural, bilingual baby shower!

I (Sarah) am feeling so incredibly loved. Not only am I constantly reminded of God’s love for me and the fantastic gift of a child He is giving us, but He has also provided me with amazing family and friends. Last Sunday, I walked in on a surprise baby shower…all for me! I knew that some gifts were coming from the states from friends and family to help us get ready for the baby, but I did not know that an actual, real-live baby shower had been in the making all this time. Michelle had apparently been working hard to sneak around behind my back and make this excellent party happen for me.



Our short-term team from the states arrived on Saturday and had brought some of the gifts with them. This team includes two of Sam’s aunts and two cousins, as well as a few other women I had just met.  Two other missionary women that live in the area joined the party and brought baked goods with them (a cake and cookies!). Michelle also invited several of my Congolese friends who had never experienced something like a baby shower. The room was full of women, most of whom are mothers. Because the team had just come from the states, the coffee table was full of sugary morsels such as M&Ms, Starburst, and Thin Mint cookies…all of which were delicious. One of my Congolese friends, Simplice, told me the next day that she took a few M&Ms home after the party and ate them slowly on her way home because she liked them so much and she saved one for her mom and niece at home.

All the party guests partaking of the sweets.
Most of the party was spent praying over me, the baby and our little family. Michelle used the opportunity to encourage me in the Lord as I step into this new phase of life…motherhood. The women prayed for three separate things: my marriage, for me as a mother and blessings over Sam, me and the baby. It was an incredibly encouraging time to sit before the Lord as these beautiful and unique women stood around me and interceded for my family. Michelle also asked the women to write notes of encouragement and advice to me that they brought to the shower. Several of my friends and family also wrote notes in the states, but I had to wait until Sam’s dad came with them on Wednesday to read through those (his flight got delayed and he was bringing some of the items along). Each of the Congolese women and Michelle read their notes aloud to me at the party and gave me a gift for the baby. Their notes were rich with encouragement, excitement for our coming baby and Godly advice. I was overwhelmed by their love and care…which means there were a few tears involved. We shared encouragement, prayers and conversation in a mix of English and Lingala…and a little bit of French.
Some of the guests preparing to read me their notes
Of course I got to open gifts and the gifts from my Congolese friends were especially fun to open. I was not aware of some of the baby items that are available here in Gemena. But the most practical gift and the one that made me smile the most was a stack of laundry detergent pouches from Simplice. These will be put to use with all those cloth diapers we will be washing.
Packages of "Omo" laundry detergent
It was so enjoyable to experience the dynamics of Congo and America in one room. All the women surrounding me were my sisters in Christ whether they were a part of my family, I had just met them the day before or they live thousands of miles away from my country and familiar culture. At the same time I sat there surrounded by so many unique women, I was opening gifts from women at home who have known me and loved me for years. We were all brought together to celebrate the new life that the Lord has given to me and Sam.
Michelle, the extraordinary party planner, and I after the shower
After the baby shower some of the Congolese women said that they were very encouraged by our time together and the way that our American culture takes the time to honor and encourage the mother before the baby is even born. In Congo, many people come to visit the baby after it is born and to help the new mother a little bit. But they had never experienced a party that is meant to “shower” the mother with love encouragement and gifts. Thanks to all the women who were a part of my baby shower in some way…I am blessed!
Bebe, me, Mama Lopango, SImplice and Mama Francoise

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, this was so fun to read! I wish I could have been there. And nice work Michelle! I love the idea of the Congolese women bringing you words of wisdom and encouragement. That is so awesome! Amy W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighting in your enjoyment of that day, and so happy you received encouragement and support. So now you can hang baby diapers from the ceiling instead of what was at your personal shower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth Seashore HryshkanychJuly 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

    I cried as I read this, Sarah. I'm so glad that the team you and Larsens have is a godly, loving functioning team in every area. What a blessing! And to have the Congolese a part of the shower - how very much fun for them - and an encouragement to encourage their ladies too. I want to be there with you!! Love, Tante Luta

    ReplyDelete